Sunday 7 July 2013

You have more friends than you know!

Alright, so I'm back to blogging about all things advertising. Hopefully I find enough steam in myself to do this every Sunday.  Ironically, I'm not doing anything to market this blog. I guess its sort of hard for me to put myself out there, not even sure why, my friends love me...... Fine, you got me, I have no friends. I just eat, sleep and sit in front of the computer all day. 


When I flew back from Melbourne, Mum was at the airport waiting to pick me up. So, on the way back, we were just talking, and I was asking her about regular stuff like how she was, and she said this, "Goat milk is really good for us, I think I want to get some for the family" Which I already knew. I've been trying to get mum to try goat's milk for years, but she wouldn't. So I asked what changed her mind. She replied "I heard it over the my favorite radio channel".

 Hang on a sec, the same goat's milk I've been trying to get my mum to try suddenly becomes good because somebody on the radio said it? 

I was reminded of the Commercial Radio Australia ads "When you advertise on radio, its like they hear it from a friend." If you haven't heard the ads, here is one of the four they currently air. I think they're pretty funny.  What a brilliant line. It was like their whole campaign happening before my eyes. Through routine, mum has been listening to the same radio DJ for so long, it almost seems that they have become friends. A simple segment about goats milk and she was sold. It could have been a paid segment for all I know, but she was hooked nevertheless. 

Maybe the way forward for advertising isn't online, where people spend hours on, but through the radio, where their "friends" few simple words would do you a whole lot more. I suppose in this day and age, buyers trust a friend's  recommendation more than what companies advertise. I guess everybody is becoming more cynical about what they hear from a corporate source. 

Lemmie know what you think! I got to go, my friend has a new song she wants to sing for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment